Sunday 23 October 2011

Occupy Movement

This first week of the Occupy movement, I've gone back and forth from inspiration to frustration, like many of the occupyers.

The time lag between idea and action scares me - even as I find hope in it. The visible dynamic of gender difference (so many white men at the front) both worries and confuses me - why is this happening? is it a reflection of natural style differences, or a harbinger of greater inequality? what should we do about it? Yesterday, watching the General Assembly after the big march to Nathan Phillips Square (2000+ people!), I couldn't help recall fictionalized accounts of the Russian Revolution - and not so much in a good way.

But talk about being the movement - solar panels, local purchasing policies, supporting local farmers, and teach-ins on climate and economy - inspire me.
Planning a climate conversation cafe, I felt excitement and passion, and relief in knowing that there are so many others who also believe that our relationships with each other and with the natural world need to be at the centre of this movement.
Helping to develop a food sourcing policy, I felt the hope of knowing there are so many others who also believe in the importance of living our values at every level of this movement.
Seeing the shifts in the movement over the past week, as more and more women, men, white, brown, First Nations, and people of various ethnic shades and political and economic stripes work together, I have felt my uncertainty give way, again and again to reassurance and hope.
Reading, writing, talking with others who believe that the Occupy movement is not one thing but a dynamic and active space for real change excites me!
A few pictures:







No comments:

Post a Comment